Sunday 29 April 2018

Sock knitting and spectacle cases . . .

Sock knitting and spectacle cases - now if that's not a sign of my age, I don't know what is! :)  :)

Seriously, sock knitting is an ongoing passion and source of great relaxation and a constant learning process.  Also, you don't need much yarn to make a pair of socks, so it's a relatively cheap hobby!

Here's my last completed pair of knitted socks - a wonderful pattern by Nancy Bush, called French Market socks - never thought I would achieve making these but I did - I was delighted with them . . .


I read up all the notes from other knitters on Ravelry before starting on these - really useful, and they fitted perfectly :)

Currently working on these socks (Lambs, Chickens and Bunnies Oh My! by Ros Clark) - great fun to knit . . .


Both socks have a Latvian braid cast on - basically twisting three different colours of yarn together - looks very cute.  I braided the yarns left to form a little toggle detail at the back of the sock - just to be a little different!

Last week I decided it was time to get the sewing machine out and do some 'tweedie' work.  The last cosmetic purse I made made me think, if it was just a little narrower it would be prefect for storing spectacles/glasses as it's very well padded, so off I went to designing a few spectacle cases.  I came up with three designs all based on some previous collage work . . . a sneaky peak . . .


My eldest son helped me with my labels yesterday - I thought they came out quite cute! 

I'm hoping to add these three designs to my Etsy shop next week - that's the plan anyway!  At least one more design in the pipeline (maybe two) based on previous artwork.

I would love to add some hand knits to my shop too but struggling with the time constraints of doing both sewing and knitted items - heigh, ho!

I thought our two cute hens had stopped laying a couple of weeks ago but seemingly not - it's been lovely going out to collect the eggs in this nice sunny weather . . .


Enjoying the simple things in life this morning . . . daffies growing outside the kitchen door :)


Catch up soon (youngest has been 'borrowing' my laptop hence sparse blogging activity!)  Here's to shorter, more regular posts :)

Alison x


3 comments:

anja said...

Your French market socks are beautiful! And the new socks look very nice already. Looking forward on how they turn out.

mamasmercantile said...

I am in awe of your talent knitting socks, they are delightful. Beautiful glasses cases the tweed is stunning.

Gaia said...

You knit so beautifully, they look so pretty.