Saturday 9 June 2018

Granny Square Practice

Oh well, I missed the whole of May in blogging terms - too much going on!  As per usual though I resorted to knitting projects for some relaxation, always works for me :)

Most recently however I've returned to crochet for instant crafty gratification - I purchased some Garnstudio Drops yarn a little while back.  It was cheap enough to enable me to buy a few colours to work with for under a tenner!  I use light aran/worsted weight wool to make granny squares these days as I use Leonie Morgan's book:  100 Bright and colourful squares - lovely selection of designs.  They crochet up to 6 inch squares (well 5.75 with my tension!) really nicely.  I've been using a 5.5 mm hook.

I've learned my lesson and found that I DO find that using yarn with a good wool content helps to block the squares to a nice uniform shape and size.


I'm using a palette of six colours and just making an odd square until the yarn runs out!  No plans really just a bit of granny square practice over the Summer - when I'm done I'll decide what to do with them :)


Upper top left one should be a hexagon within a square but my stitch count was off so it looks a little skew whiff/wonky!  Never mind, it blocked nicely into a square anyway :)


I love the top square with the large petal flower and have used this pattern a few times.  The one below it with a flower within a traditional granny square is fun to do now that I've got the hang of it!

Crochet is such a lovely relaxing hobby - so easy to pick up and make something satisfying in an hour or so :)  I do like the idea of just collecting a few squares in different patterns and using them to make something creative or other - it's a very flexible and a portable project to have on the go.

During May I completed another Echo Flowers lace shawl - I think I made my first one about 3 or 4 years ago.  It's a beautiful pattern by Jenny Johnson Johnen.


This is it on the washing line after blocking - as you can see we've had some fabulous weather recently!


It's a lovely lime green colour - I'm waiting for a suitable posh occasion to wear it :)  I might be waiting some time!!

I've been trying to get back to making some items for sale, but things keep getting in the way!  Soon I hope though :)  My Etsy shop is very quiet as I haven't had the time to do all the social media required to make online sales - I prefer to be creative than spend too much time on my notebook.  It's a balance though I suppose :)

Life is a little quieter and settled at the moment so I'm looking forward to getting back into the groove as they say!

Bye for now
Alison x

2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

The weather certainly has been stunning, enabling lots of outdoor work getting done. Love the shawl, such a stunning make, loved both the pattern and the colour. Glad things are settling down for you.

Gaia said...

Shawl is so pretty, love its pattern and colour. And, the crochet squares are lovely too.