Monday 22 December 2008

Hebridean Living ..... Part 2


I find myself at home today with a 'poorly' child, so I might as well do another post on my Hebridean Living - seeing as I promised! These two grumpy fellows on my laptop are replicas of the Lewis Chessmen which were discovered in Uig on the West Coast of the Isle of Lewis around 1830. The originals are now on display in the British Museum in London and the National Museum of Scotland. There is some controversy about returning the complete set to Scotland but I'm not a political animal and not much of a historian to boot so I won't go there!!

You can find more info here. I love them just as pieces of history and art - there's something magical about them. These two are from two different sets in our house - they seem to appear and reappear in various parts of the house as the children seem to find them quite fascinating too!! And no .... I'm afraid I don't play chess!! But they are cute!

No comments: