Wednesday 10 August 2011

my creative space . . . a fishy tale

I happened to come across a newsletter in my 'inbox' this week which gave details about an Arts project in the Skye and Lochalsh area (Inner Hebrides). It was a call to arms as far as I was concerned - it read 'Do you enjoy knitting or sewing? We need your help to make Silver Darlings!' A Silver Darling is of course a herring, which I'm assuming originates from Neil M Gunn's book of the same name - a tale surrounding the Scottish Herring Industry at the beginning of the 20th Century.

Anyway enough history, the newsletter gave details on how to knit your fish, the colour scheme - silver, cream, pale grey, the approx size, 'sequins, beads and bling permitted' - 'have as much fun as possible', it read. Well, I was immediately hooked on the idea but had no idea whether I was eligible or not to enter - so I just did anyway!!

The instructions asked to 'use what you have got or recycle if you can'. I have a ginormoous ball of natural aran wool - so I was all set to go. After I'd knitted up the simple pattern and stuffed the rather odd looking shape I went to town on the decoration and here's my 'Silver Darling':

He was really fun to make - I had a ball adding my vintage lace, sequined lace, embroidery details, ribbon, etc . . .

. . . and of course he had to have a big cheesy grin (in true Tweed Delights style!) . . .

I really have no idea what will become of my little Silver Darling - all the fish will be on exhibition as part of the Bonnie Boat event in Potree on the 10th September, and you could opt to have your fish auctioned to raise funds for the local RNLI, which I was more than happy to do. However, I don't know if the project was open to anyone to enter regardless of geographical location - my Other Half posted him off for me today, so farewell little fishy and I hope they let you join the 'shoal of fish' - he'll be 'gutted' if he's not :/

I'll keep you up to date on his progress (if I ever hear anything) - he may be promptly posted back to me - or perhaps some nice person will buy him. I would love him to be exhibited with the other Silver Darlings in any case, and who knows he may raise some money for charity - farewell little fishy, and Good Luck on your precarious journey :)

More creative tales here :D

13 comments:

tartankiwi said...

He's so cool! They'd be MAD if they sent him back.

Tweed Thoughts said...

Aw thanks :) I'm quite pleased with him really - I hope someone else will like him :D

littlewoollie said...

gorgeous fishy, you are very clever, love all the different layers! Have a great day!
Ps, I found you through our creative spaces, and will make sure to pop back and see what else you are up to! Julie:)

Swirlyarts said...

Oh fab! :) I love the bling.

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

I love him..you are so cute Alison!

Janet xox

Creative Wishes said...

Your silver darling is just lovely with his smiley face!

trudi@maudeandme said...

He's great!A stunner.

Bron said...

what a neat idea...he /she is so adorable...the "blingest" fish around I am sure.

WendyCarole said...

ooooooh he is lovely. My sister lives on Skye I shall send her along in September to wave to him

Claire said...

A Silver Darling what a lovely name, he/she is so cute Alison, great job. I can just see it swimming through the water, sun glinting on the silvery 'scales'.

I'm sure someone else will love it and give it a happy home.

Claire :}

june at noon said...

What a fun way to step outside the norm and stretch your creativity! I hope he finds a good home with the other fishes.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love all the different details you used to decorate your silver fish. What a fun project. Wishing you all the best, Tammy

Marion Boddy-Evans said...

What a fab fish! I'm going to have a look to see if I can see it next time I'm Portree.

My understanding is that submissions from anywhere are welcome, and they can be "made" not only knitted. The details (and postal address) are on Hi-Arts here. The event takes place on 10th Sep.