Wednesday 31 August 2011

my creative space - crochet experiments

My creative space today comprises entirely of me trying to 'clear the decks' for Little S's birthday party on Saturday - it seems to becoming a ritual for completely gutting out his bedroom, and getting the rest of the house presentable for a little celebratory party. Don't get me wrong - a bunch of 10 year old boys probably wouldn't turn a blind eye to the state of my housekeeping, but their parents might, hehe! - so needs must, *sigh* - bang goes any crafty plans for today ... Here's some picks instead of my crochet experiments at the weekend . . .

. . . my pride and joy - a little 'forget me not' flower - the stem went a bit wonky, but it still looks a little 'stem-like' :) I had such a ball trying out the patterns for various flower designs from my crochet book - learning the stitches as I went along - invaluable learning process, I loved every minute of it! Here's some more . . .

I'm using two crochet pattern books: 100 flowers to knit and sew and 201 crochet motifs, blocks, etc. (I spied the second one on Claire's lovely blog - thanks Claire!!) - in tandem with my 'how to crochet books' - 'Learn to Crochet' and 'Crochet Unravelled'. I've been using internet/blog resources too, which have been invaluable. I learned how to make a 'slip-ring' from this excellent tutorial, as I couldn't get the hang of it from any of my books!

My Crochet Motif book is inspiring me to make blocks, for example, using the flower in the centre of my granny square, I added a border in the same colour . . .

. . . having a little fun with some 'flower-arranging' onto one of my 'tweedie' zipper pouches . . .

. . . another project idea from my crochet books was making greetings card with flowers, kinda neat! . . .

OK, you get the gist, I'm hooked!! I'd love to continue the experiments today, but I'd better get the living room and the kitchen sorted for Saturday's guests, those 10 year olds are getting very discerning these days, hehe :D

More crafty spaces over here - See Ya! :D

P.S. Just remember - US terminology and UK terminology crochet instructions are different!! Double crochet (US) is triple crochet (UK) - sneaky little devils, hehe! :D

11 comments:

Biba said...

Oh my God, you're a pro! This is absolutely beautiful! And crochet flowers on your tweedie purses - delight!

Rie said...

Ahh, nice! You should crochet a whole bouquet & give it to someone for Xmas!

Debra said...

adorable little flowers

nicole said...

oh they're so pretty!
and so many uses!

june at noon said...

Looks like you are moving right along nicely with the flowers!

Claire said...

Hey Alison, I knew it wouldn't take you long to get the hang of it..........

I loooooooooooooooooove your flowers ,that little forget me not is so darn cute.

Cards, purses, granny squares, the options are endless.

I must get my book out and have another browse and see what pretties I can whip up. It's the first day of Spring here and you've inspired me BUT first I better do a little housework ( just so I don't get the 'guilts', hehe...)

Look forward to seeing what other floral goodness you whip up.

Claire :}

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Love your crochet flowers, they are gorgeous!

search engine marketing said...

Great information. Enjoyed the posts.I will be coming back soon, thanks for the great blog.

Bron said...

They are so sweet...I would imagine they don't take too long either. Good luck with the party.

Emma-Jayne said...

Oo what lovely flowers. They look great on the zipper pouch :)
x

今、この一瞬を said...

とてもかわいらしい、飾りです。