Saturday, 21 March 2009

New-Look Doll

I'm so delighted that I managed to achieve my goal of embroidering the rag-doll's face (rather than the felt and fabric glue method which I'd previously used) that I had to show her off. She's a bit of a dolly bird and looks like a little girl who's raided her mum's make-up bag! A little more glam-puss than I had intended, she doesn't really look like she could don a pair of wellies in true Hebridean style!

But I'm really pleased that I managed to do it and may refine colours and styling as I go along with other dolls. I'm quite keen to get a 'look' for my ragdolls so that they're instantly identifiable as mine - whether this is the one or not . . .

I drew the face on the finished doll in pencil first, then stitched over the line drawing in ordinary black sewing thread. I filled in the eyes and mouth area with embroidery thread, just using simple satin stitch. I used one of 'Little S's' coloured pencils to add a little bit of blush and added a few highlights with white thread. A small step for man-kind, a huge step for me - hehe! I think the addition of embroidery really improves the appearance of the doll and adds a bit of quality.

I'll add a little Harris Tweed outfit (skirt or dress or maybe even a little kilt) and hopefully add her to one of my online shops soon. She'll probably need a cute Hebridean name now too! (I used a curtain lining type of fabric for the body of the doll which I found quite pleasant for drawing on and embroidering).

Here's to more dolls!!

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

you did a great job with her face :D

Swirlyarts said...

Love her!