Thursday 21 May 2009

my creative space . . .

Not so much 'my creative space' today, so much as a 'snapshot' of some fervent crafting earlier on in the week! I should have been catching up on some other stuff that day, so today I'm paying for it and will have to be running around like a lunatic, getting my house in order, before my 'other half' completely disowns me!! It's a hard life being a crafter!

Anyhow, my 'notion' for making some simple soft toys with Morag Lloyds fabrics took a hold of me on Tuesday and I made some simple templates, then decided to add a hanging cord so that they could be used decoratively too.

I quite like the way you get different snapshots of the images on each shape - a bit of a house here and a bit of a sheep there! (they are all about 5-6 inches in size)

I'm undecided about the results - I like the organic shapes of the 'bone' and the 'fish' (not sure that these are really baby themes!!), but the 'boat', I'm not sure about. It's a kind of 'paper-boat' shape but does it work? - I don't know. I wanted to make tactile shapes for a baby to hold, and thought the pattern would be good for visual stimulation, etc. What do you think?

I backed them with some yummy Harris Tweed, of course!

I might just 'sit on them' for a bit (at least they're out of my system for the moment!) - more creativity over at the lovely 'kootoyoo' blog.

8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

The fish and the bone look great :) I didn't realize that was a boat at first, now that I know its a boat I can see it clearly. Not sure what you could change about it without making it too hard to hold on to though.

Kirsty said...

I love that fabric.

Jemma. said...

Very cute :)

Anonymous said...

Very neat work. Great fabric and range of creations

Lucy Bowler said...

I think you've made some lovely shapes there. I totally agree with the hard life of a crafter comment! You make something here and something there suffers... washing needs to be done, so you miss out on doing something else! there's always a tug, isn't there, I guess we just do the best we can (which is what I keep telling myself too!).

florcita said...

I was going to say, I love the boat! hahaha of course for a baby, a bone is much easier to grab, right? but they all look superb! Love that fabric and you've coordinted them so well with the tweed!

Jenifir said...

I understand the paying for it bit. It does not work to try and ger all the domestic stuff down first because it is never done. I think of the clock pendulem swinging from one side to the other. I get up on domestics and free up creative time. Feel guilty for what slipped, catch up on domestics. Successful softies with good colour combos!

Michelle said...

The shapes look great. I like the idea of being able to hang them.