Wednesday 7 January 2009

Have a Burger!

Well, as soon as I'd posted that photograph of little S's favourite burger concoction (see previous post), the wheels had started in motion for creating a Harris Tweed version! Once I had it in mind, I just had to give it a go - and this is what I came up with. It is "actual size", constructed from separate components, just like a real burger roll - one Harris Tweed roll (in 2 halves!), one Harris Tweed burger (lightly stuffed!) and garnished with two felt embroidered cucumber slices and a little ketchup on the side. Little S wasn't very impressed with the addition of the ketchup, but I gave myself some artistic licence here! (he doesn't like ketchup!).

I added the 'sesame' seeds on top as I had to disguise the stitching holding the whole construction together. I had to sew through all the layers which was a bit of a feat, but it worked. My kids didn't like the addition of the sesame seeds but I think they were a necessary 'evil', if I can put it like that! It has a practical use as it would make a great pincushion (I stuffed it firmly) - my other half keeps complaining of finding pins everywhere!

I liked the fact that it's a real 3D piece and looks quite interesting from all angles - just like the real thing! My first genuine 'soft sculpure'! It's also very sturdy and chunky which I like. I must get 'S' to model it for me - he might need some bribery (it's the ketchup issue!).

Bye for now - hope you're having a nice day!

8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I like the sesame seeds and they do a good job hiding the the stitching. If you could think of a way to put the separate components together without sewing you could make (and maybe sell) DIY Tweed burgers :)

Muddlepud said...

Cute! I like the colors and definitely think the ketchup is a good touch. My daughter has plastic play food that is cut into slices and held together by velcro so you can "slice" it. Could you use that to hold the pieces together to make it interactive? That might make a neat toy. (Check out the felt food at Craftster. Similar idea.)

Tweed Thoughts said...

Great ideas! Thank you both :D

Anonymous said...

ItÅ› so cool! Love it!!!
The seeds might be covering stitches but the give some extra detailing! It's really nice! Love the colors...love tweed actually!
I'm hungry now...seriously.

Tizzalicious said...

I love it!

Tweed Thoughts said...

Thank you Tizz and Marian - I'm encouraged to make some more now!! :D

Leah said...

I was going to suggest velcro too!!

Swirlyarts said...

Yum yum yum!