Monday 29 June 2009

And now for something completely different . . .

Today was a bit of a hot, sunny day for making a draught excluder!! But strike while the iron's hot and I had a notion to make one, so here it is. I found a way to use some of my fabric buttons which I've been making recently as a bit of a decorative feature. The raw materials (toy stuffing and tweed) are so expensive that I wanted to keep it to a simple design.

Trying to photograph it proved as much of a challenge as making it - I have them in mind for being used in some swanky Scottish ancestral home with large expanses of wooden flooring, beautiful panelled doors etc. My, ahem, slightly less, swanky little Hebridean home, with barely enough room to swing a cat, never mind two children, proved a challenge for photographing it! So, I resorted to the great outdoors - which we have in bucketfuls!

This tweed is super-duper gorgeous and I've been resisting cutting into it (my stockpiles are slowly diminishing, now that the local mill in Stornoway has ceased to operate), but I thought it would be just the job and I'm really pleased with how it looks. I had a lovely conversation today with a local Harris Tweed weaver who is selling his own tweed independently which is very exciting, so there's hope for the old industry yet! I was told about him at the craft fair, so there you go!

I'm off to find a more swanky house to photograph my 'draught excluder' - know any nice castles I can rumble??

I will be making these available on my own website www.tweeddelights.co.uk, as and when I make them (perhaps when the weather gets a bit cooler!)

Cheerio an Drasda!

6 comments:

Marion said...

Love the colours of the tweed and the buttons are a perfect trim without being too fussy.
Why don't you visit some stately home with your draught excluder tucked under your arm (as one does!) and then take some quick photos when no-one is looking!

Jennifer Rose said...

i keep meaning to make one with scrap fabric but to hot to sew here now :p

the buttons looks nice, simple is sometimes better :D

Tweed Thoughts said...

M - The next time I'm visiting a 'stately home' I might just take it with me, discretely of course! :)

J - I think they would look great in scrap fabric - definitely cheaper too! :D

karin said...

I love the fabric and the buttons. It turned to look very luxurious indeed.

About those castles.. I always thought Scotland had the most beautiful castles. As a matter of fact, just because of that thought, and the pictures I've seen of your beautiful country, have put Scotland on the top of my list of country's I want to visit.

Anyway, I totally imagined you sneaking into a stately home with it, taking pictures and hiding behind large stately stools. LOL

florcita said...

That us very good idea and I live the simple yet attractive design! Good for you, expanding!

june at noon (Gretchen) said...

I really like the simplicity of these, and the buttons are a nice touch. I could use a few--or thirty--of these for my drafty house!