Friday 26 March 2010

Merry Go Round - March

I'm jumping on the Merry Go Round with nine other fellow artists/craftswomen from all around the world - linking arms in friendship. This month's theme is to take a photograph of something and use this as an inspiration to create a piece of work.

This is the photo I took my inspiration from (the view from my window):

These are the Harris Tweed fabrics I chose from the colours of the landscape:

. . . and this is what I made - one of my Harris Tweed beach-balls in lovely Hebridean colours:

The 'beach-balls' are made to my own design, the panels are machine-stitched together, and then hand-finished to ensure that all the panel seams meet equally in the centre - that's the tricky bit! I then stuff them very firmly with polyfil to give them a solid round shape. There's something very satisfying about making them, and they feel great to touch, the tweed is really soft and smooth. I love the contradiction of using this traditional, lofty, fabric to make a fun, quirky object - using 'the traditional' to make something completely unexpected - hehe :)

I've been wanting to make some of my 'beach-balls' in different colour schemes/themes, for some time, so this challenge was the perfect catalyst for me to do this. This one will be called 'Lewis Landscape' (Lewis is the island in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland where I live). I think I will be adding this beach-ball to my new blog-shop later today and hopefully adding some more soon, using different inspirational themes.

I see them more as a soft sculpture, as opposed to a soft-toy, a celebration of Harris Tweed in a soft, tactile shape. The beach-balls are the size of a smallish football.

Please check the responses to the challenge from the other team members below - should make for some great reading :)

Mitsy at ArtMind

Kim at Vilt a la Kim

Sara at Saras Texture Crafts

Fabienne at Easterya Jewellery

Mariana at Florcita

Agathe at Le Bar du Vent

Lily at Lily Pang Art and Design

Wendren at Wren Design

Ruth at Birdland Creations

Please bear in mind that the members will be posting at different times of the day, depending on which world time-zone they are in :)

P.S. I'll be taking a little Easter break for the next couple of weeks, but will possibly be popping in from time to time! My shops will still be open (apart from my 'made-to-order' gift-site)

Cheerio an Drasda :)

12 comments:

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

That view of you window made me look a bit green! Rather a shade of bright lime I would say - absolutely fantastic - lucky you!
I love how all the colors you chose for the fabric ball fit the picture so perfectly! Well done! :)

Kim van Waardenburg said...

I agree Mitsy! Great vieuw and super well chosen fabrics!!

TopCat76 said...

What a gorgeous view you have! I might have to dig out my old pics of trips to the Highlands.... stunning. And, erm, that ball... aMAZing! I totally love it!

Biba said...

I love your tweed ball, it's gorgeous! Enjoy the Easter break & see you later!

Swirlyarts said...

The ball is gorgeous and I'll bet it is very tactile!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

love your choice of colors...perfect match to your beautiful landscape...what a wonderful view!!!

Lily Pang said...

What a great idea to use the color from a photo! Very pretty ball.

florcita said...

I love how the fabrics really resemble the colors in the landscape. I love the view from your window. So clear (not the head of your neighbour!) and open...

june at noon said...

Wonderful colors, love the way you chose them. I think the beach balls are fantastic, and those particular colors feel extra "beachy" to me. Enjoy your break!

Ruth said...

I love it! The way you see the ocean and the colors and as I scrolled down I was trying to guess what you had made - but didn't! A beach ball is perfect! You should put the scene photo up in your listing too when you put it up for sale!

Sara Millis said...

What an unbelievable view!! I want to grab a picnic, take your cute beach ball and run through the field to the sea... is there room for a small tent at the bottom of your garden?!
Sx

Tweed Thoughts said...

Thanks all for the lovely comments - and yes, I do have a beautiful view, which I probably take for granted! :)