Wednesday 3 March 2010

my creative space . . .

Not very inspiring, I know, but yesterday I spent the better part of the day trying to source a decent quality black felt fabric on the internet. I'm using it for part of a custom order for a new 'tweedie' design which I got via my own website (Gee, it actually serves its purpose sometimes!!) I find it really stressful sometimes (and a little soul-destroying!) trying to find supplies on the internet, particularly when it's for something very specific.

Anyway, I got home from work tonight and there it was - exactly the weight of black felt I wanted and the swatch was also perfect for a different use - result!! Can you see the shadow of my fingers on my camera - I thought that was pretty cool! (You might have to 'squint' to see).

Still working on the art dolls this week, remember I had TWO doll bodies. You can see the first one here and this is the other one below, but NOT decorated or finished by me! The second doll body was 'hi-jacked' by my 8 year old. On seeing me working on the first one and taking note of the second doll body, he piped up 'Hey, I could make a Celtic Warrior doll for my school project with one of your dolls - can I have it?'. Well, what do you say? I spent hours making that doll body (entirely handsewn in a beautiful 100% linen fabric!). What a dilemma - my child's creativity or mine!! Well 'Little S' won, and off he went with the doll body and proceeded to rummage through my fabric stash for 'celtic warrior' clothing, and this is what he made:

He chose all the clothing himself, and gave me little swatches of fabric from my stash to tell me what he wanted! He insisted that he sewed on the yellow tweed 'helmet' himself and did a pretty good job too. He obviously had a really clear picture in his head of how he wanted the 'Celtic warrior' to look like. I'm allowed to sell it on my online shop after the project's finished, he tells me! I sewed on the features for him, of course, and sewed on the trousers and shoes, but all under his strict instructions! Hmmm, think I've got some competition in the house, hehe!

You think 'they' don't really take that much notice of what you're doing, but I think this is solid proof that he's been taking it all in and generating his own ideas - quite amazing!

I'll reveal more about the custom order at the weekend, once I've been in touch with my customer, but suffice to say it's quite 'grown up', very much a Harris Tweed item, and I'm hoping it will go down well! Not really something I'd have made without being prompted either!! There's 'mysterious' for you!

See more creative 'goings-on' over at Kirsty's :)

P.S. The belly dancing doll never 'became', perhaps I'll use them (the metallic discs) for something else - that's crafting for you!

10 comments:

Jennie said...

Great shadow!
And that doll is brilliant!

Kirsty said...

The Celtic warrior looks sensational.

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Well it's obvious the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I would love to request to purchas little 'S' Celtic Warrior doll if you decide to sell it.

Kylie said...

Just fabulous! I love how totally unique your style is. I love the pic of your hand's shadow on the black felt :) Where do you get your felt from? K

june at noon said...

Ooh, the mystery!

Little S has some real talent there. I think he might have his own shop in the works some day!

Unknown said...

That doll is wonderful! What a talented family! xo m.

Biba said...

Talking about competition! You should expand your business, hire some people (by which I mean your son, of course)... Honestly, great job. I'd taken a look at the doll before I read the text and I thought 'Wow, what an exquisite job Alison had done this time! Wonderful choice of colours!' I was amazed to read that it was the work of an eight-year-old! Go, 'Little S'!

P.S.: Janet has already 'applied' for purchasing the warrior, otherwise I would love to get it myself!

Jennifer Rose said...

nice job on the warrior :) kids take everything in, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. but in this case its a great thing :)

michelle said...

what a great job he did

Jenifir said...

Passing on the creative gene is success indeed. Well done to both of you. No.4 asked if could sew yo-yos with me tonight. Unfortunately, it was at bedtime.