Wednesday 10 March 2010

my creative space . . . don't panic!

I'm just cutting into this lovely piece of herringbone Harris Tweed - I hope I don't mess it up!! This is going to be a Macbook sleeve for a customer who requested one of my Gadget pouches but on a larger scale for a laptop. It's funny because I'm not really a 'gadget person' myself and would probably not have made this if I hadn't been prompted! I was pleased how the prototype turned out and I'm now all set to make these to order.

Time to purchase some more tweed I think. It would be so great to make more of these as I would be on my way to supporting the local Harris Tweed industry in my own very small way, as part of my creative business. It all has a knock-on effect. Well, it's good to have aspirations isn't it!

I do like using these more traditional colours and patterns - there's something very earthy and rich about them, as opposed to some of the brighter colours I've used in the past. Nice to have a mix though!

More creative stories here :)

11 comments:

Beck said...

Your tweed reminds me so much of the alpaca blanket offcuts I use for my bunnies. I love the idea of using it for cases/pouches etc. There is a fantastic craftsperson near us who uses blankets and vintage teatowels/linen for the same purpose. They look fab. Good luck with your commission xo

Jennie said...

Thats going to look great, using the herringbone. Love that tweed!

Kirsty said...

The laptop sleeve looks great.

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

of course it will be beautiful! All your work is ;-) Come visit my dolls! I have one from Scotland!

Trudi - Me and Ewe said...

Mmmm tweed!

june at noon said...

I LOVE that herringbone pattern, and even though it's a "dull" color, it's wonderfully gorgeous. Good luck!

Swirlyarts said...

Any excuse to buy more fabric eh? I'm the same!!

Bron said...

that fabric is lovely - i hope it all turned out ok! =)

yardage girl said...

I like the idea of tradiotional tweed to cover modern technology - it works!

Jennifer Rose said...

I'd be so worried about cutting that, it would probably end up folded and unused in a cupboard lol

Snooze said...

funky idea for a cover ... so much nicer than the usual fabrics etc i see